Teenage Nerdfighters Unite (Our Pants edition)

Comments

• ohalltheplacesohalltheplaces I just wanted to be one of The Strokes TexasPosts: 549 ✭✭✭
    wow these topics are so engaging.
    I don't really have a lot of want/need to consume alcohol.
    I really just like to read books, watch British television, and listen to music. I am rather not socially inclined either, and drinking to me (at least at our generalized age) seems to me a rather social activity.
    I have very little to add to the current topics of conversations
    "I want to make a simple point about peace and love
    But in a sexy way where it's not obvious"
    -"Science Fiction" Arctic Monkeys
  • the_one_on_the_leftthe_one_on_the_left B.C. CanadaPosts: 583 ✭✭
    @everyone
    http://nerdfighteria.vanillaforums.com/discussion/77/the-person-above-me-below-me-and-i#latest
    This thread is sorely neglected for how good it is. Do me a favour and populate it.
    There are always more pieces to the puzzle.
    edited December 2017
    I feel like standing up for oneself is overrated.
    Everybody says you have to stand up for yourself and set boundaries, but that’s not realistic for everyone. There are people who are naturally forgiving and kind, where it goes against their nature to do so. There’s also a sort of spectator effect that happens: everyone must stand up for themselves, therefore I am not obligated to help them and stand up for others.
    It shouldn’t be a flaw to not always stand up for yourself, it should simply be a character trait, something that is understood and compensated for by your friends and family.
    Also: not to say you shouldn’t stand up for yourself and be independent, just that it's overrated/overexpected at times.

Thoughts and Opinions?
    by the_one_on_the_left
  • AnFaAnFa Hessen, GermanyPosts: 104
    I actually also don't drink alcohol. I've never even tried it. It smells bad and I don't see a good reason to try it. I mean, maybe I'll try it sometime out of curiosity, but right now I don't really see why else I would want to. But yes, there is a bit of social pressure to drink. When people find out that I'm nearly 20 and have never drunk alcohol, they are normally really surprised and a lot of people ask why I don't drink, but it's actually not that bad. Most people just accept that I don't drink and move on. Doesn't make me a total weirdo, it doesn't make me feel like I'm not accepted or anything like that. I can sit next to people who are all drinking while I don't and still feel like a part of the group. Some people might joke about it sometimes, but not really in a mean way.
  • tuttitutti Posts: 68
    @the_one_on_the_left I 100% agree. From a young age kids are told to stand up for themselves, but they are never taught how to not be cruel to those who don't. This obviously causes a lot of problems, with people believing that if someone doesn't object when you mistreat them it means it is okay to keep on doing so. People like me, who are not assertive or confident, are often subject to mistreatment because when you tell kids 'stand up for yourself' you are also saying 'if someone doesn't stand up for themselves it means that they are fine with it'. A lot of friendships and relationships can be torn apart by this mindset. I think it would be so much better if we teach kids to be mindful of those who are less assertive and try to imagine how they might be feeling, instead of just judging their feelings on how they act. That's just my opinion though.
    "the purpose of life is to discover your gift, and the meaning of life is to give your gift away."
  • YodaboyazYodaboyaz Chandler, ArizonaPosts: 262 ✭✭
    Merry Christmas Eve to anyone who celebrates!
    "I don't know." What a liberating phrase.
    Merry Christmas, or as I like to tell my Muslim friend, Merry Allahmas!
    I take great joy in their exasperation at how terribly unfunny it is.
  • tuttitutti Posts: 68
    Hey guys, so I'm not going to be active here for a while because I'm going on a temporary hiatus from internet forums and things like that. I have been slowly distancing myself from the real world and I have found that I am spending far too much time in my own head, so I want to try and focus more on reality. I'm guessing that going away from social media will help a bit. I might come back, but I might not.
    Anyway merry Christmas or Allahmas or Random Day In December :)
    "the purpose of life is to discover your gift, and the meaning of life is to give your gift away."
    Farewell tutti. I hope your internet hiatus helps you feel better.
    Happy New Year! Hello 2018!
    Happy new year
  • ohalltheplacesohalltheplaces I just wanted to be one of The Strokes TexasPosts: 549 ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year
  • beepbop1011beepbop1011 International Space StationPosts: 645 ✭✭✭
    happy 20gr18
    bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz
    wow we are really dead on here.
    like as dead as my hope to be good at pre-cal.
    How is everyone?
  • hermionegrangerhermionegranger the nearest libraryPosts: 119 ✭✭
    I'm doing good! We got the day off from school today due to inclement weather, although we still have online learning work to finish.
    @ohalltheplaces Are you taking pre-cal?
    Don't be upsetti, have some spaghetti.
    I'm fine. I'm taking Drama this semester.
    @hermionegranger yes, but I really stink at it. I am in a very STEM centered class, but I am not STEM at all. I am just sort of being dragged through my 2 sciences and pre-cal. I wish my school offered more opportunities for History, and Literature.
    @Yodaboyaz That is cool, my school is doing " I Never Saw Another Butterfly" in OAP. I am not in it, but it seems cool.
    @ohalltheplaces
    I have not heard of that play. We are going to put on a Shakespeare play.
    @Yodaboyaz that is cool
  • hermionegrangerhermionegranger the nearest libraryPosts: 119 ✭✭
    @Yodaboyaz What play is it?
    Don't be upsetti, have some spaghetti.
    @hermionegranger
    I don't know yet. We do an in class group scene and then our teacher chooses the play. She wants to get to know what kind of actors there are in the class before she chooses our play.
  • 109097103112105101109097103112105101 Posts: 1 Newbie
    d2FsbCAg
  • RancronRancron A BookPosts: 42
    well thats a kind and inspiring message mr 109097103112105101
    I feel we were made to add joy to that hurt. To show people that life may not be the best, but it's not the worst. To show that without darkness there would be no light, but there can be light in the world.
    - My Friend
    this thread is in such a state of boredom and inactivity I am actually spending a lot of time considering Mr./Mrs./Ms./ Mx? @109097103112105101's message
    edited January 17
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKOvOaJv4GK-oDqx-sj7VVg

Go binge watch this YouTube channel’s medical videos, and take a gander through the rest of the channel.
    by the_one_on_the_left
    edited January 17
    Teach me something, anything, about your passion.
    (Also a very good thing to ask significant others)
    by the_one_on_the_left
    I am not sure whom you are addressing but I will answer because 1. I am a terribly passionate person 2. why not
    I am not sure what my one passion would be, I am passionate about reading, and humans, and music. I really ( I think we have discussed this before) enjoy humans and understanding them, but I am not great with them. To borrow something said about Tesla " he was a great Humanitarian, but he was awful with humans."
    I am not sure what there is to teach, I think maybe my greatest passion is to look, pay attention, study things that mean something. Of course "mean" and "something" are terribly subjective, it changes a lot. Like I mean I am really passionate about "Arctic Monkeys" right now and they are a band I never heard about a year ago.
    That hardly made any sense sorry.
    edited January 19
    @ohalltheplaces I was addressing anybody and everybody with a passion. Your jumbled collection of thoughts was interesting to read, and I think I learned something?
    Either way, the point of the request was satisfied, to egg someone into taking passionately about something they like. It’s a pleasant experience.
    by the_one_on_the_left
    For those who want to read it, I wrote a new poem.
    https://hellopoetry.com/poem/2319367/a-boy-beyond-the-horizon/
    okay for one thing, I have been on here for long enough, and so important to me. I want to keep it active.
    for a second thing @the_one_on_the_left that was a good poem.

I am going to know introduce many topics of conversation, because this things is like Juliet when she took the poison- tragic and soon to be dead.
    1. HANKS NEW BOOK!!
    2. Have any of you read "The Catcher in the Rye" and is so did you enjoy it?
    3. was the new Star Wars good. I know I am a bit late, but I haven't watched it yet
    4. Does anyone else feel extremely pressured to find out who they are going to be and what the want to do?
    5. How are you?

El Fin