Conlangs

Constructed (artificial) languages, that is.
I am interested to see whether people would like to discuss or converse in them, including but not limited to the following:
Klingon, Esperanto, Interlingua, Ido, Orthography reforms like Qdlic, or esoterics and others.
Not including human/spoken languages; programming languages (both common and obscure) probably have another subforum.
But then again, I could be wrong.

Comments

• daeiribudaeiribu Posts: 99 ✭✭
    Being a conlanger myself, I would love to discuss conlangs, but preferably in English (or French, or Italian, or Latvian). Considering the ones you've mentioned, Esperanto is the only one I can decipher (but cannot speak). Maybe Interlingua and/or Ido too, I haven't really tried.

Do you conlang or is it just a general interest?

• TeamO42TeamO42 Posts: 5
    Ooh yeah! Conlangs! :D
    As you can probably see from my signature, I'm an Esperantist. Until, like, a few months ago (WOW.) I actually thought I was the only E-ist Nerdfighter, but since then..well. (There are actually some nerdfighters who started learning E-o only some weeks ago, which completely amazes me.)
    @daeribu I'll wish you luck with Interlingua, if you're actually going to try and learn that. Regarding Ido..I've always thought that deciding to learn both E-o and Ido is a bit like deciding to join both the Harry Potter and the Twilight fandom. But, as has been said, I can err. And I'm obviously biased.
    (At the time I'm actually esperantifying TFiOS, making it "Sur La Sorta Stel'" – that right there links to where I got the title from – and whenever I find something worthy to be e-ified, I try to practise my translating skills. I mean, even though I'm not really getting good and I don't find much time to translate TFiOS so that after more than two months I'm still at chapter 7, but..yeah. I like it. :) )
    I also tried to learn Klingon once, but soon gave up. Might be one of the reasons why I decided to learn E-o: because it's so damn frickin' wonderfully easy that I find (/found) no reason to give up. (Also the Pasporta Servo argument, obviously. And I sometimes say once said that E-o is just the foundation for another fandom. E-ists are generally really nice, I guess? Might have to see when I attend this year's JES – Esperanto Youth Week – and, for the first time in my life, meet E-ists in person.)
    Aaanyhow.. Yeah. Awesome.
  • ArloJamesBarnesArloJamesBarnes Posts: 11
    edited November 2012
    @daeiribu
    I have not conned any langs personally yet (besides expressing to myself to vague desire of developing a mirrorable script system, which doesn't really count until I finish) but I would like to learn a few to supplement my beginning 'grown language' (they are all really constructed, though, are not they) education of Latin and German. My friend has created some conlangs, and I have been intrigued by Sarus and Klingon (although I really cannot see how the best way to start learning the second, even with a larger base of speakers than the former) as well as literary languages like the Tolkien languages and Hlab-Eribol-ef-Cordi, so I have a few to choose from (plus all the ones I have not investigated more). My only experience with Esperanto is the same friend, and the first page of an online tutorial...I liked what I saw. Mostly I like the idea of making one's own language, to define the way one could communicate as specifically or generally as one wants. At first it puzzled me because I placed more emphasis on what was being communicated, but after taking German I saw that style and format were important and content in and of themselves.

Qn u ryleyted not, cjd Uy difrrencyeyt x akcwl kqnley'g diskucun hyr?
  • ElaesaElaesa Posts: 3
    I've been working on 2 different languages for the past 12 years but don't speak any conlangs(besides the basics of Esperanto) except my own.  As a linguistics major in college, it's a topic I'm very interested in but unfortuneately don't get to discuss much in my studies as we focus almost entirely on natural languages and the history and structure of English.  I'd be really interested in seeing and discussing the work of others.
  • VT45VT45 Posts: 9
    I've created a conlang of my own, called Acadian (or as they call it, Aćiarień). It's an Anglic language descended from the English spoken in New England, with a healthy dose of French, Portuguese, Mi'kmaq, and Canadian Gaelic influences as well. Here is an example:

Jam-lúćeń far za maujar eń mi. Oveu-foann va ocań-bi. Ef omia-veń, omia-luz, war omia-toa, eć a veśri far ou. Eć za varun eń únjeń, za varun eć áz vuań. Áz vi-cloań ta-riś nuatar dastani, a nu jara eáv-beǵeń.

I'd also like to improve my Brithenig if anyone here knows it.
  • geekacrossthestreetgeekacrossthestreet Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to invent my own language because it features heavily in my book but I'm having a terrible time. Are there any tips from my fellow nerdfighters?
  • ArloJamesBarnesArloJamesBarnes Posts: 11
    I guess that depends on what you are having trouble with. As I understand it, generally how people invent languages for literature is by making a series of decisions:
    • Is there a 'gimmick' to the language (like Larry Niven's creatures that speak only in bubbles, except maybe a less extreme example...) that you are using to add a level of uniqueness to the story?
    • Is it based off other languages (for example, could it be considered a Romance language, or IndoEuropean at all?
    • What is the culture of the characters using the language, and how will that affect the language or vice versa?
    Then you can start on the details. It should be noted that how detailed it is is up to you, as you can specify an entire grammar, complete lexicon, various spelling rules and so on, but that is not all necessary if you just need some cool-sounding words that are consistent as a language.
    • Pick how the language will sound: guttural, like Klingon (and in some ways German or Arabic)? Flowing like Quenya/Sindarin (and in some ways French)? Should words be short or long, overall? More of a focus on consonants or on vowels? And so on.
    • Start preparing some bits of dialogue / other text to 'translate'. At this juncture thinking about things like sentence structure (Subject Verb Object like most languages? Object Subject Verb like Yoda?) is important. Then start picking English words from your prepared snippets and assigning conlang words to them. Keep in mind that related concepts are likely to have related words (not always though, at least in natural languages), so when you make one word you might want to 'define' the word's "cousins" as well. Be judicious when assigning pronounceability and length so that it matches the complexity of the concept. Whenever possible, break complex concepts into their constituent parts, assign words to those, and then come up with rules for how to combine these together to produce the more complicated word.
      • Another way to go about that is to start with the most general of concepts, whatever you (or more importantly, your characters' cultures) consider that to be - one generality might be 'love' or 'emotion', another [in a different system, perhaps] might be 'physical movement words' [run, alongside, downwards, et cetera] - and work towards specificity from there.
    •  Add random/determinate [non]sensical rules (change the sentence structure in this way for questions, words used as adjectives get that prefix, whenever so-and-so subject is mentioned the mentioner has to gibber at the end of the sentence) to make the language more unique. If it is a natural language, it will also make it feel more organic (although how perceivable this is to the careful reader will depend on how many samples of your language there are in the book.
    • Take everything I say with a grain of salt and get second opinions. Also always remember that it is your language, so you can do whatever the heck you want with it...I have seen some pretty crazy literary conlangs, but they matched the suspension of disbelief needed for the stories in question, so it worked.
    Good luck, and I for one would love to hear about your story / read it when it is finished!
  • ParrotParrot Posts: 30
    Arlo, my man! have you ever heard of lojban? It's a fantastically awesome conlang that I've been working on learning for a while, though not very well, because I have an under abundance of free time, and nobody who's learning it that I know. you should check it out! http://dft.ba/-lojban
  • HedvigHedvig Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited March 2013
    As a trivia note I can report that in the "what languages do you speak"-thread that resulted in this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AulVFHmduY1WdDduT3NJbVNvc3FBMnRrNjJGZ1RYeWc&usp=sharing

we have these conlangs so far:

Hymnos
    Klingon
    Navi
    Sindarin
    Brithenig
    Elvish
    Esperanto

Feel free to add more if you like

• eFredeFred Posts: 8
    I'm really interested in conlangs, and I've been thinking about making one based on cats. I imagine it as a weird mixture of French and Japanese with a ton of 'miaou' and 'nyaa' kinds of sounds.

@VT45 - Whoa, that sounds awesome! I definitely want to see more about Aćiarień. Do you have a page somewhere where I can read about/learn it?
  • ParrotParrot Posts: 30
    If anybody's interested in learning a Conlang, i suggest trying out Lojban. it's awesome- The whole thing is designed to be as logical as possible- it's based on predicate logic. the name Lojban is a compound word in lojban- lodji and bangu, lodji meaning logic, and bangu meaning language. It's really fun, and fairly simple to get a decent understanding of, and doesn't have a very wide speak base but I feel like it's something the conlanger side of Nerdfighteria could really have some fun with. 
  • VT45VT45 Posts: 9
    @eFred - I've got a thread for it on the Zompist bboard somewhere, but I'd be more than willing to give lessons to the interested here.