The Proud International Tea Drinking Society

AaronAaron Dundee, U.K.Posts: 758 ✭✭✭✭✭
For the past few days the The Secret British Non-Tea-Drinking Society has been gathering mass, with people who feel left out of British society because they don't like tea finding comfort with other non-tea-drinkers.

This is all well and fine, but they must accept that they are wrong.

Milk or sugar? Builders tea, lemon tea or lapsang souchang? How do you take yours?
Elusive of the Last Ones

Comments

• NikoNiko Posts: 154 ✭✭
    Well I'm not a HUGE tea drinker, but I do enjoy my cup every now and then. :)

I usually take it with just a dash of cream, and two sugars. I'm American, so it's usually a tea bag, of various varieties. If I'm sick, I always go for a cup of peppermint. Otherwise, my local wholefoods store has a great vanilla hazelnut, and then also this Mayan cocoa spice. Plus, I'm always game for just a simple cup of white, or green tea!
    Boop

• gnaistgnaist Stanford, CA, USAPosts: 4,899 Admin
    I love tea! My favorite is the Tazo berryblossom white tea, but I'm also a huge fan of rooibos, green, chrysanthemum, jasmine, etc. etc. I've been on a big chai tea latte kick lately. Those spices are just so Christmasy!

I actually consider myself a coffee drinker more than a tea drinker, but I love both, so I'm all for being in the Proud International Tea Drinking Society!
    Prince of the Last Ones
    I'm on a brand new collab channel: The Last One To Vlog Here Wins
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart." -- Helen Keller
  • I love tea. All kinds of tea. Bring me the tea. 

Recently I made a blend for myself over on Adagio that consists of vanilla black, chai masala, and hazelnut. I drink it with milk and honey and it is so good. I go through phases, though. For a long time I was really in to maccha because I had taken a little class on the Japanese tea ceremony. So I got a bowl and the little whisk and all of that, but I never got very good at making it.  
  • AaronAaron Dundee, U.K.Posts: 758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    @niko 'Mayan cocoa spice' sound incredible. Perfect tea for the appocolypse :). If I'm sick I tend to go either for lemon tea, or just the strongest thing in my kitchen cabinet so I can get as much caffine as possible.

@gnaist I freaking love rooibos. I normally don't like herbal teas that much, but I can't get enough of rooibos.
    Elusive of the Last Ones
  • I_am_the_ImpalaI_am_the_Impala Posts: 104 ✭✭
    Tea. So much tea. (Almost) all the teas! I usually like mine no milk/cream with LOTS of sugar (or honey, depending on my mood). Exceptions made, of course for chais and similar teas. I like them lightly sweetened and with cream. This (my tea obsession) is one of the many reasons I feel like I belong in London, instead of being stuck here in the states. *sigh*
    Even if you quote me, please @ me so I get a notification. :)
    The Opposite of War isn't Peace...it's Creation!
    - RENT the musical
  • CharlesLaCourCharlesLaCour Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    I drink tea by the gallon.  I like most types of tea (not herbal but then again it is not really tea).  RIght now I am drinking English Breakfast but also like Earl Gray, Lapsang Souchang, a good Darjeeling or oolong, and most green teas.

I drink them all strait without any sweeter or milk. 
  • larklark Posts: 83
    Standard (2-3 big cups a day) is a nice Assam blend (loose good quality broken), a little ginger or star anise if I'm feeling fancy, no more than 3 minutes, with a little sugar. Lots of sugar on bad days, perfect bad weather/comfort tea.
    Aaron said:
    @niko 'Mayan cocoa spice' sound incredible. Perfect tea for the appocolypse :). If I'm sick I tend to go either for lemon tea, or just the strongest thing in my kitchen cabinet so I can get as much caffine as possible.

@gnaist I freaking love rooibos. I normally don't like herbal teas that much, but I can't get enough of rooibos.
    @Aaron It is incredible! And hahaha yup. You all know what I'm gonna be drinking on December 21st! Cheers!

Also, may we have our own bit in our signatures? Like, I've seen "British Non-Tea Drinkers Society. All of the awesome, none of the tea" or something like that. Perhaps we should come up with our own?
    Boop

• I_am_the_ImpalaI_am_the_Impala Posts: 104 ✭✭
    Niko said:
    Also, may we have our own bit in our signatures? Like, I've seen "British Non-Tea Drinkers Society. All of the awesome, none of the tea" or something like that. Perhaps we should come up with our own?
    @Niko I fully agree. Will have to think on this. Hmmm...
    Even if you quote me, please @ me so I get a notification. :)
    The Opposite of War isn't Peace...it's Creation!
    - RENT the musical
  • RiyoRiyo Posts: 24
    Pumpkin spice is my favourite. ♥ I have a rather large collection of teas, though mainly black. I can't stand fruit teas.

Bit a milk and just a dash of sugar for most.
    @blackunicorn adagio looks amazing. Does anyone know of a company doing a similar 'boutique' internet tea shop thing in Europe/ the UK?

@niko I would definitely use a signature.
    Elusive of the Last Ones
    edited November 2012
    Also, I've always wondered what people mean when they say they take cream with their tea. Is that single cream? Do you take the same proportion of cream to tea as you would if you were having milk?
    Elusive of the Last Ones
    @Aaron "Drink Fantastic Tea! Be Awesome! The Proud International Tea Drinking Society" Something like that perhaps?

And I don't really measure how much cream I use. I just usually do a little splash of it. Like, perhaps it's a single cream? Maybe a bit more actually.. I'm not 100% sure. Sometimes it also depends on my mood. I may occasionally want a bit more cream, occasionally a bit less. And as I don't really use milk, I can't say that I would know if it's the same proportion. It all depends on personal preference I suppose.
    Boop

edited November 2012
    @Kaytei, I've never tried loose tea. What's the advantage over tea bags?
    Elusive of the Last Ones
  • KayteiKaytei Posts: 65 ✭✭
    I love tea. All tea. I prefer loose tea. 
    I have a tea for everything. You're tired? I have a tea for that. You're feeling sick? I have a tea for that. Had a bad day? I have a tea for that.
    Here's my afternoon tea. Here's my pre-bedtime tea. Here's my work-day morning tea. Here's my weekend morning tea. 
    If you want to get away from tea bags, try this. It's called IngenuiTEA and it will change your life. 

I'm from the American South, so I get a lot of people who think I'm just a fanatic of cold, sweet tea when I say I love tea. These people are wrong. They are doing tea wrong. 

Watch my Wheel of Fortune episode air on February 21st! It's Pet Lovers week! 
  • TylerTyler Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    Tea is beautiful.

All kinds of tea. Herbal, Black, Green.

Even the dreaded teabag tea.

Although in a recent trip to China I acquired some amazingness.

As to how I take my black tea? I usually have Earl Grey with a touch of milk and no sugar.

Also I have added for myself a provisional, crappy signature.
    image       image       image       image         image       image
    Liked this comment? Think I'm worth checking out? Just want to stalk me on the internet? 
    Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Behance (for those who don't know, it's an art portfolio site)    

• imarielleimarielle Posts: 356 Mod
    Tea is one of my favourite drinks!  Hot, cold, whatever!  I love black teas and prefer loose over bag, though bags are much easier when I'm in a hurry in the morning off to class!  I've got at least 10 different kinds of tea in my apartment at any given time!

I usually take my tea with milk and sugar, but certain kinda of tea I like differently, like I like honey in my Earl Grey and add cinnamon and nutmeg to my Chai.

I also really love teas from all over the world.  I have collected tea from places I have traveled.  I have tea from a Druze hospitality in Northern Israel, which is my favorite and it will be sad when I run out again!  I also bought tea from the shuk in Aqaba, Jordan when I was there years ago and some tea from when I was in England over the summer.  I also really love Bedouin tea though I've only ever had it from Bedouins in Israel and Jordan and never been able to buy it to make it myself.
    Let's be friends!  Message me if you need anything!
  • I drink way too much tea.  It is wonderful. I will drink any tea and I have it black most of the time, but honey in tea is so good.
    Any tea.
    It is a magical drink.
  • MeredithMeredith Posts: 40
    Good old orange pekoe does it for me! It's like a hug in a cup! I'm just a dash of milk in mine :) I'm not big into fancy types of tea but my friend had red velvet cupcake tea a couple of days ago and it was amazing!
  • gnaistgnaist Stanford, CA, USAPosts: 4,899 Admin
    @Aaron said:
    Also, I've always wondered what people mean when they say they take cream with their tea. Is that single cream? Do you take the same proportion of cream to tea as you would if you were having milk?
    I don't use them in the same proportion. It takes much more milk to attain the same level of smoothness as cream. I certainly don't measure, and I don't usually use cream/milk in herbal tea, but a splash of cream to make the tea turn a nice light brown is perfect (in teas which warrant cream/milk, like English breakfast).

I also like using condensed milk instead. So sweet, so creamy, and sooo yummy!
    Prince of the Last Ones
    I'm on a brand new collab channel: The Last One To Vlog Here Wins
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart." -- Helen Keller
  • leonwingsteinleonwingstein VTPosts: 2,683 Mod
    I eat tea often
    "Even in the darkness, every color can be found." -Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog | "Remember: You're unique, just like everyone else." -Warren Miller
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizza in Our Pants." | THE LAST ONE WHO VLOGS HERE WINS
    You can call me LeoN or Jezzy.  Or anything else, though I might not recognize or respond. | Diamond of the Last Ones
    Has anyone had maté from Argentina? I lived there for a bit and got hooked on it. I brought 5 kilos back with me!  :\">
  • larklark Posts: 83
    Kaytei said:

Has anyone had maté from Argentina? I lived there for a bit and got hooked on it. I brought 5 kilos back with me!  :\">

Yep. Although I enjoyed the hanging out together drinking it more than the actual tea. Haven't had any in ages, should put that on the list for the next tea store visit :)
    edited November 2012
    lark said:
    Yep. Although I enjoyed the hanging out together drinking it more than the actual tea. Haven't had any in ages, should put that on the list for the next tea store visit :)
    Yeah, the whole process of drinking/sharing maté is the best! It took me more more than a few tries to really start to like the flavor. Then I was hooked and was carrying around a hot thermos and a maté gourd like a true porteña!
  • therisingtithestherisingtithes Trinidad, W.I.Posts: 103 ✭✭
    O, my fellow tea-guzzling brethren, I have found you at last!
    Quod evenit in labyrintho properantibus:
    ipsa illos velocitas inplicat.
    --------------------------------------------------
  • jurassicaaaajurassicaaaa Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bless this post!! I love English Breakfast and Irish Breakfast, but my favourite by far is Australian Afternoon. It's a full strength black tea and oh my.

I take my tea with milk and one surar if it's in my 3cup mug, if it's in a normal mug I take a half.
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizza in Our Pants." | 
    I live in the land of the Last Ones.

• JennaRoseJennaRose Posts: 201 ✭✭
    I love black teas mainly. No water, just milk and a bit of this amazing vanilla sugar in my Jack Skellington mug. 
    My top 4 would have to be Irish Breakfast, Lady Grey, English Breakfast, and Earl Grey. All of the Twinnings variety. I used to drink chamomile with a crapton of sugar.... and then I tried it again XP
    I'm a time traveler. I point and laugh at archaeologists. -The Doctor, 10, S4E8, Doctor Who <3 <3

@JennaRose have you tried Australian Afternoon tea from the Twinnings range? And no water? Is it done with cold milk then, or hot milk? I'll have to give it a try.

• JennaRoseJennaRose Posts: 201 ✭✭
    @jurassicaaaa I haven't, but next time we get tea I will make sure it's on the list. I kinda cheat with the whole process of making the tea. I put the sugar and tea bag in then fill it with milk and put it in the microwave for 2 min. 
    I'm a time traveler. I point and laugh at archaeologists. -The Doctor, 10, S4E8, Doctor Who <3 <3

Wow. I will definitely try it then, right now. Do you think a drop of vanilla essence would work instead of vanilla sugar?