We are monsters

Comments

• zonzonnzonzonn MarylandPosts: 5,879 ✭✭✭✭
    "Ah, yes. Thank you," Mort said, his voice slightly garbled with chip crumbs. "Helps these old bones." He was grinning, and hoped it could be heard in his voice. "Hurts other bones. I'm Mort." He didn't stick a hand out to shake. Mostly because he couldn't stand the sight of his own hand, but also he didn't know how he felt about tentacles.
    "You have a faint glimmer shining somewhere in the caves of your heart. Maybe you just need a swift breeze to run through you to help spread the fire."
  • CobaltBookwormCobaltBookworm Home of Venus FlytrapsPosts: 4,711 ✭✭✭✭
         Archie smiled at the levity in Mort's answer, quite glad he wasn't the only one who was enjoying himself at the meeting. Hearing the round of introductions passing around the snack table, he decided to join in. "My name's Archie," he waved a tentacle in greeting and picked up his loaded plate carefully with another two. "Pardon the poncho, I know it's criminally bright but it's serving its sentence."
    "The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, and all the sweet serenity of books."
    -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • TeajTeaj The Kingdom of CanadaPosts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Antanas was standing off to the side and listening in... well, he might as well, "I'm Antanas," he said, looking away from the window and to the group. "I like the poncho, and the cloak. They look.... functional, and cool."

Eylen sat on one of the chairs, she looked to be done setting up now, and was waiting for everyone to come join her.
  • KiarKiar Elsewhere Middle EarthPosts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Oh, um, and I'm Sarin!" she said with a little wave, not wanting to be left out of the introductions despite her writer seriously slacking off lately. "Nice to meet you guys!" She giggled nervously, then stopped herself. Oh no, did they think she was laughing at them? She didn't want that! "Sorry!" she squeaked, forcing another carrot in her mouth as she blushed and quickly took a seat in the circle of chairs Eylen had set up.
    "A ship is always safer at the shore, but that is not what it is built for."
    My writing project
    "A pleasure to meet you all. And thank you," he said to Antanas, twisting a little so his cloak flared out. "The poncho hurts my eyes, in a good way." He laughed, hoping it would Sarin feel a little more comfortable. He followed her to the chairs and settled into one next to her, and shifted his cloak around. Mort popped another chip into his mouth and crunched happily.
    "You have a faint glimmer shining somewhere in the caves of your heart. Maybe you just need a swift breeze to run through you to help spread the fire."
         "Ah, you are too kind, my poncho doesn't deserve it," Archie said in response to the comments on his choice of clothing. He flicked the edge of the yellow plastic, and picked bottle of water while he turned to head back to his chair. Once seated, he tipped it onto two legs again and started to eat the chips, chewing loudly. "A toast to the laughing lady." He held the bottle up toward Sarin before drinking it in its entirety in the span of a few seconds.
    "The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, and all the sweet serenity of books."
    Sarin's blush deepened, and she sunk down in her seat, mumbling something that might have been some vague form of "thank you."
    Glancing around the circle, it was difficult not to stare. Everyone looked so strange or creepy - herself included - and she just honestly wasn't used to seeing so many in one place. She supposed they all tried to stay out of the light as much as she did.
    My writing project
    "I've always liked yellow, myself," Eylen said, smiling in Archie's direction.
    Antanas followed the others to the chairs and sat down, "You can see?" He asked, surprised "uh, sorry, I didn't mean to... I just..." he slid down the chair a bit.
    Eylen laughed, it was kind of creepy because of her pointed teeth, "Oh, don't worry. Yes, I can see. And since you all introduced yourselves I guess we can skip that. This group is primarily a place to get to know people going through similar troubles to yourself, and a safe place to look for support when needed. This first meeting will be the most formal, a getting to know you kind of thing, to break the ice. And if you want to keep coming we will meet here once a week."
    Antanas nodded, he wasn't sure he'd come back, but so far... it wasn't as bad as he'd thought.
    "To start with, we'll go around the circle and say a bit about ourselves. I like to encourage people to say a good thing about the powers they've gained, it can help in a lot of ways, but if you don't want to do that you can say something simple like how many siblings you have or what not. Ok? I'll start. My powers let see more than most, like this eye," one of the folds opened, revealing a pure black eye on her collarbone, "it lets me see the truth. You next." She smiled at Antanas, who was at her left. The eye closed.

"Oh, uh," He shifted uncomfortably, "my... ability... uh...right... I'm... never alone?" He chuckled, "Yeah... I'll... go with that." He felt butterflies in his stomach, and he wasn't sure if the moths and butterflies that were actually there were getting riled up or if it was the figure of speech kind. Probably the former.
  • RiosinRiosin IndianaPosts: 1,634 ✭✭✭
    ((Can I join?))
    "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."
    ~Winnie The Pooh
    NCHS Descants, 2013-2016, four time state champions
    ((Yep! Just post your character and have them knock on the door. We'll just say they were late.))
    Name: Sasha Taylor
    Appearance: Sasha has dark, blue-grey skin and blackish purple fur on the backs of her forearms as well as down her spine. She has a feline tail about three feet long and her ears are pointed and furry as well. Her face is still mostly human looking although it is more pointed than it was before and her eyes are much bigger in her head. She has a flat, broad nose that twitches when she is uncomfortable. Her irises are violet and she has vertical pupils. Her hair is black with purple ends and cut in a messy-looking pixie. Her teeth are pointed, especially her canines, and she knows from experience (biting her own tongue) that they are quite painful. She is around five feet tall and flat-chested with long limbs and pointed black clawlike nails at the ends of her thin fingers. Sasha wears black leggings, grimy white chuck taylors, and a ratty old black sweatshirt with NCSD embroidered on the breast, and North Central Swimming and Diving on the back in red.
    Powers: Sasha can see in almost complete darkness and she has heightened hearing and sense of smell. She can jump five feet in the air and she has her claws and teeth to work with. Her balance is also much improved although she has, much to her displeasure, basically lost all ability to swim
    Bio: Sasha was popular in high school, smart and skilled in the swim team despite having a few annoyingly biased teammates making harmless but obnoxious comments about her race. She was in the middle of her first semester of college on a swim scholarship when disaster struck. She was messing around with some friends in a nearby river in the wee hours of the night when she was caught in a strong current and dragged under. She hit her head and nearly drowned, and when she awoke, she was... well, like this. She lost her scholarship and had to leave the school. Now her parents won't contact her and she is desperately searching for work.
    Other: she can dance really well

Sasha hurried down the street, glancing at her watch. Hell, she was already late. Her tail squirmed from where it was tucked under her sweatshirt and she tugged her hood down farther over her face. A few minutes later, she reached the address she had been looking for, and she hesitantly knocked on the door. "Hello? Anyone in there?"
    ~Winnie The Pooh
    ((Aww, you ruined the pun name theme we had going ;p I recommend you go back and read the rest if you haven't, by the way, especially the descriptions, since there's not too much.))

"Oh!" Eylen said, "Sorry, I'll get that." She hopped up and hurried over to open the door. As she let Sasha in she said, "Hello, welcome! Perfect timing, we're just getting started. Come sit." She smiled and moved out of Sasha's way.
    ((I couldn't come up with a pun I liked. But my neighbor had a cat named Sasha :/ also I did))

Sasha let out a breath she didn't even realize she'd been holding. She was worried for a moment that she might have come to the wrong place. "Thanks," she said, and made her way to the nearest empty chair, next to the woman who let her in. "Hi. I'm Sasha."
    ~Winnie The Pooh
    Sarin waved meekly as Sasha introduced herself, then waited a beat for anyone else to speak. When no one did, she took a deep breath and spoke up. "Um, I'm Sarin," she said. "I guess, um, I gained the ability to be very... toxic. I dissolve things. Accidentally. Also, the cloud around me," she said, waving at the yellow haze that extended a few inches from her body, "can make people sick, so, uh, probably shouldn't get too close. Yep." Glancing at the people to either side, she awkwardly slid her chair back a few extra inches, just in case.
    My writing project
    ((lol 'Catherine'? I could pump out cat based puns, but it was just a joke ^^ ok, just wanted to make sure.))

Eylen sat down, "Something positive," She said to Sarin, "I know it's weird, but honestly, trying to find something good about your powers can be fun! For ex-"
    BOOM! (cause that't original) She was cut off by a loud explosion that shook the building, the lights flickered and everything shook for at least 5 seconds, then it stopped and the lights went out.

"The hell was that?" Anatanas asked, he had nearly fallen out of his seat from the shock of the sound, and the shaking, now he hopped up and ran to one of the windows.
    Outside, things were on fire, the building across the street, a large bank, had smoke coming out of it.
    Mort had some trouble coming up with something positive to say about his powers, 'cause what was positive about killing stuff? He was grateful that Sarin had spoken up, though the fact that the small cloud around her could be dangerous hadn't even occurred to him. When the explosion hit, he gripped his cane tightly with one hand, and the bottom of his chair with the other. He was on Anatanas's heels, and hurried to the other window. All he could do was whistle at the scene.
    The explosion left Sasha's sensitive ears ringing. She took a moment and shook her head to clear it, letting her hood fall and giving the others their first proper look at her face. "What happened?" She asked, standing up but staying back from the windows. Her tail slid out from under her jacket and lashed agitatedly. The ringing in her ears had stopped and she could hear crackling fire and panicked voices from outside.
    ~Winnie The Pooh
         Archie had been all set to say something good about his powers and had been looking forward to demonstrating just how useful tentacles could be in such a delicate matter when the explosion hit. His tentacles gripped the chair in a flurry, wrapping around the metal with an instinctively crushing grip. "What's going on!?" He leaped from his chair as soon as the building had stopped shaking and craned to see out the window. Gulping convulsively, he sat down again. He did not do well with fire.
    Sasha slipped over to the window and stared at the scene "It's the bank," she answered Archie, feeling her fur rising on the back of her neck. "Do you think anyone is really hurt? What should we do?"
    ~Winnie The Pooh
    "Oh, dear," Sarin said, wringing her hands as she looked out the window. "What happened? Can you see if anyone is down there?"
    My writing project
    There was a good deal of smoke, but Sasha could see at least one moving figure in the wreckage; whether it was a victim or the attacker she could not tell. "Its hard to tell. I want to go and help," she added a bit hesitantly. She wasnt too frightening, she was a cat person, but she wasn't sure how the company of a bunch of mutants, all as much or more monstrous than herself, would be received over by the bank. For all she knew they'd be accused of some kind of terrorist attack.
    ~Winnie The Pooh
    "I'll call the cops!" Eylen said, and rushed into the back.

Antanas bit his lip, "they won't get here fast enough, those guys will get away..." he couldn't just stand her and let that happen. He went to the door and left the building, not really sure what he could do, but outside he opened his mouth and a swarm of locusts, Flys and beatles flew out of him and straight towards the robbers getaway van. Most hovered just a few inches from the vans glass (so the wipers wouldn't get them) and the rest went and started buzzing around the heads of the robbers.
    Sasha was glad Antanas acted first, she felt much less self conscious about charging across the street, skidding to a halt a few yards from the robbers. She almost didn't notice the plague of locusts. She wanted to yell something at the perps, but wasn't the best with words. "...s-Stop!" She tried
    ~Winnie The Pooh
    Sarin was glad Eylen was calling the cops, and in fact felt a bit stupid that she hadn't thought of that first.
    "Get away?" Sarin repeated Antanas. "You don't think the explosion was intentional, do you?" But by then Antanas and Sasha were already out the door. "Oh dear," Sarin said, watching a swarm of insects come from Antanas, and Sasha pounce after the fleeing figures. Should she help? Sarin hesitantly stepped out the door, not knowing what to do. "Oh dear..."
    My writing project
         As Eylen disappeared to call the police, Archie gathered the courage to head for the door, peering around Sarin at the raging fire and at the others attacking. He could feel the dry heat from the flames reaching them across the street and he pulled at his poncho, bunching it between his tentacles. "Should we... join in too?" he asked Sarin, reluctant to get any closer to the inferno.
    "Fvck!" one of the men yelled, swatting at the insects. They could only just barely see Sasha through the bugs, and one of them pulled a gun out and pointed it in her general direction. "Stay out of this!" he said, as they lunged forwards towards the van, carrying sacks in their hands.
    Sasha heard the gun click and immediately jumped backwards, heart in her throat. Crap, this was really stupid wasn't it. What do I do??? She looked around at the others for help.
    ~Winnie The Pooh
    "Seriously?" Mort mumbled to himself as the others headed for the door. What were they going to do? He sighed reluctantly, and stepped around Archie and Sarin. "May as well join in," he said as he passed them. He gripped his cane tightly in his hand, and put a little pep in his step as he saw one of the robbers pointing a gun, rather poorly aimed, at Sasha. Mort pushed his way through the bugs trying not to be grossed out. "Hey, Buddy." He tapped the robber on the shoulder with the tip of his cane before swinging it at the guy.
    The robber instinctively turned his head at the tap, and as a result got the cane full in the face, sending him onto his rear end. "Fvcking freaks!" he cursed. His buddies were leaving him behind, heading to their van (which now had cockroaches climbing in the exhaust).

Anatanas could hear sirens in the distance, getting closer.
         Archie pressed against the doorframe to allow Mort to pass between him and Sarin. He watched as Mort full-on Loki'd the robber without mercy, letting out a chuckle as the man spouted the usual obscenities from his position on the ground. "Looks like the fun is almost over," he said, cocking his head to the side at the shrill sound of sirens.