The Revival of Our Pants!

I know there has been a lot of people noticing that there has been increasingly less traffic here recently, and I think it would be awesome if we could get together and do something about it. How cool would it be to get some Nerdfighters back here or here for the first time?

I have a couple ideas to start but we need more!

IDEAS:
- One of the easiest ways would probably be to post on any Nerdfighter Facebook groups you belong to about this forum and encourage people to make profiles if they haven't already.
- Another thing we can do is email/ John and Hank to get them to mention this forum more in their videos/social media.

So who's in? DFTBA!
There are only two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Comments

• I'm in! I've been looking for ways to connect more with other Nerdfighters. Another possible idea to get started is to spread the word through comments on vlogbrothers videos and other videos from channels that Nerdfighters like to watch. I hope we can get more people to join! DFTBA!
  • fingerscrossedfingerscrossed MainePosts: 164 ✭✭

I'm in! I've been looking for ways to connect more with other Nerdfighters. Another possible idea to get started is to spread the word through comments on vlogbrothers videos and other videos from channels that Nerdfighters like to watch. I hope we can get more people to join! DFTBA!

Great idea! I will for sure comment on the Tuesday video about this!
    There are only two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
  • BriRose23BriRose23 MarylandPosts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I definitely think it would be worth while to email/tweet/message john and hank.

I'll also try to post on the facebook pages and such!

There is no darkness as dark as great light corrupted - Lauren Kate

TUMBLR    NERDY TUMBLR    GOODREADS    TWITTER    FACEBOOK    INSTAGRAM

• LukeLuke Resident Spam Cleaner DublinPosts: 7,881 Admin
    Quiet here only recently? :p

But seriously, if people can get a good topic going that really encourages discussion, that would help. It may also give the Greens a reason to refer people to the forums. But that kind of thing would be difficult to do artificially
  • Luke_Earl_MolleLuke_Earl_Molle Earl of Peace Jefferson, IaPosts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭
    Luke said:

But seriously, if people can get a good topic going that really encourages discussion, that would help. It may also give the Greens a reason to refer people to the forums. But that kind of thing would be difficult to do artificially

I think an example of a pretty good topic in here that could have a lot of discussion around it is the thread about trying to get pennies retired. It would be a good one to get John to mention the forums too. It also has appeal to some other big creators that nerdfighters watch, I know both VSauce and CGP Grey have talked about how they agree with John about pennies.
    I am the Duke of Earl, and I also am Earl For To and Of Peace

Luke said:

I think an example of a pretty good topic in here that could have a lot of discussion around it is the thread about trying to get pennies retired. It would be a good one to get John to mention the forums too. It also has appeal to some other big creators that nerdfighters watch, I know both VSauce and CGP Grey have talked about how they agree with John about pennies.
    Maybe we could start leaving links in comments of the relevant videos?
  • SatisfiedEyesSatisfiedEyes Posts: 21
    Another thing we could do on top of threads with interesting discussions is create threads about interesting projects. I feel like I haven't been involved in a collaborative nerdfighter project in a long time. It could be something fun to build the community or something charity related or any other ideas you guys might have.
    Also, seeing as the Ning is now shutting down, we may get some more people coming here. I'd hope everyone will be welcoming if that should come to pass. For those of you who are contributors to the nerdfighter ning site, maybe you'd like to push people in this direction? We're not quite the same, but we're an option.
    Wow, I didn't know the Ning was being shut down! (clearly I'm not a part of it since I'm so clueless) That's so sad. I know from old videos how active and important to Nerdfighteria the Ning was in the past.

Wow, I didn't know the Ning was being shut down! (clearly I'm not a part of it since I'm so clueless) That's so sad. I know from old videos how active and important to Nerdfighteria the Ning was in the past.

I personally never really got into it. But apparently the cost to keep it up has increased a lot so it's shutting down at the start of next month
    Luke said:

I personally never really got into it. But apparently the cost to keep it up has increased a lot so it's shutting down at the start of next month
    Well, hopefully we will get some of the Ning people coming here. I'll be on the lookout to welcome them.
  • KiarKiar Elsewhere Middle EarthPosts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's Hank's post in case anyone wants to check it out (or leave comments on the Ning encouraging people to migrate over to this site!)
    "A ship is always safer at the shore, but that is not what it is built for."
    My writing project
  • antique_roseantique_rose Posts: 17
    Ning person here! I haven't been too active there lately, but I've always been visiting the ning to keep up with what's going on, so it's kind of sad to see it go. I hope this will lead to more people being here and having more active conversations!
  • Lothian_TamLothian_Tam Posts: 3
    Hello Pants dwellers!
    Rather stuffy in here, odd smells, not much room... but besides that, not too bad, all things considered.

Lothian Tam here, one of the staff members over at the ning. Now, some might be wondering why not all our users are interested in migrating over to yourpants. Nothing really against yourpants in fact, it's a nice forum.

But the ning wasn't just a forum to begin with. It was a community based around each other, not topics or threads. Yourpants is missing a few features that many of our members enjoyed, and while those who actively used the forums - as I did before joining the staff team - may come here, those outside of that particular bubble might not be so interested.

It's with that in mind, the staff decided to move ahead with the opening of Nerdfighteria.ning.com

Now, nothing is stopping any our members coming here to post, in fact, more power to us nerds! But for those who might want a little more than a forum to commune within, we'll have our community site set up.

The intention is to run the place with content created by Nerdfighters, it's easy enough to rest on the work from Hank and John, but there's hundreds of thousands of us Nerdfighters, and we ought show off their skills and talent as much as the godhead of Nerdom that is the Greens!

Vlog? Write? Be a little artistic? I want to see it and share it!

Hello Pants dwellers!
    Rather stuffy in here, odd smells, not much room... but besides that, not too bad, all things considered.

Lothian Tam here, one of the staff members over at the ning. Now, some might be wondering why not all our users are interested in migrating over to yourpants. Nothing really against yourpants in fact, it's a nice forum.

But the ning wasn't just a forum to begin with. It was a community based around each other, not topics or threads. Yourpants is missing a few features that many of our members enjoyed, and while those who actively used the forums - as I did before joining the staff team - may come here, those outside of that particular bubble might not be so interested.

It's with that in mind, the staff decided to move ahead with the opening of Nerdfighteria.ning.com

Now, nothing is stopping any our members coming here to post, in fact, more power to us nerds! But for those who might want a little more than a forum to commune within, we'll have our community site set up.

The intention is to run the place with content created by Nerdfighters, it's easy enough to rest on the work from Hank and John, but there's hundreds of thousands of us Nerdfighters, and we ought show off their skills and talent as much as the godhead of Nerdom that is the Greens!

Vlog? Write? Be a little artistic? I want to see it and share it!

Despite the fact that I became quite disillusioned with the Ning, I'm glad to hear about a nerdfighter site growing up without the direct support of the Green brothers.
    I can't really blame you there Luke, when first joined the Ning, it was a great wee place, this is back in late 08, by around 012, cracks had began to show, at least in the staff at hand. I became an admin at the start of 012, and the amount of infighting between admins was... well, to put it midly; shocking.

From ningmasters sexually targeting mentally ill women, to mods telling a mentally disabled - in this Autistic teenagers - person to go kill themselves, by the end of that year I had gotten rid of another ningmaster, gotten rid of the mod in question and set about enforcing the rules to keep stable and user friendly.

As for being independent of the brothers, besides Hank paying for the Ning monthly - at the time, the twenty five dollars -, they had very little input or touch on the project towards the later years; certainly after Tom's accident and recovery. Can't imagine much interaction between the new site and the brothers themselves unless they get into contact once more.

But aye, if people don't mind me using my Scots, and quote auld Rabbie burns:
    " Here's tae us; wha's like us? Gey few, and they're a' deid! "
  • centauriecentaurie BelgiumPosts: 48
    I've been registered on the ning for a couple of years, but I never was that active in it...only a couple of threads where I occasionally replied. SoI didn't know about what you just described. Whow! Glad I missed those shenanigans, though.
    Anyway, here's to hoping this board can become something nicer & livelier in the next few months!
    centaurie said:

I've been registered on the ning for a couple of years, but I never was that active in it...only a couple of threads where I occasionally replied. SoI didn't know about what you just described. Whow! Glad I missed those shenanigans, though.
    Anyway, here's to hoping this board can become something nicer & livelier in the next few months!

Yeah, took a lot of work on the staff's part to fix these problems. Thank hell we did in the end, or it'd have not been worth continuing.

Here's to Yourpants, and Nerdfighteria!

If anyone's interested in stopping by, you can find us here:
    http://nerdfighteria.ning.com/
  • TheGreatBloopTheGreatBloop Posts: 2
    What kinds of projects did you guys participate in before?