Are you religious?

124»

Comments

• beekachoobeekachoo Posts: 1 Newbie
    I was Mormon for 25 years. I left that religion earlier this year. It's been difficult adjusting to not being in a cult anymore, in a very wonderful way.
  • NeiroAtOpelCcNeiroAtOpelCc Denmark (Als)Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭
    How's life without treating you?
    My substitution for facebook and twitter: 
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/neiroatopelcc
  • not me
  • apfluteapflute PennsylvaniaPosts: 2 Newbie
    I am very active in my church (United Church Of Christ). I've been going to my church my whole life and I love it there.
    apflute said:

I am very active in my church (United Church Of Christ). I've been going to my church my whole life and I love it there.

But do you believe in the concept of an entity having created this place and all of us etc?
  • mcpon14mcpon14 Posts: 7 Newbie
    I am. :blush: But I'm not hardcore, though. I'm a casual Christian, which above a Christian who is a Christian in name only, lol.
  • RialVestroRialVestro Multiple Personality Disorder The state of InsanityPosts: 6,398 ✭✭✭
    My mother is Jehovah's Witness, my dad... well he believes that if "God" did exist that he was most likely an alien with advanced technology that ancient humans mistook for something magical. Basically an atheist as he doesn't believe in that an actual literal God exists as described by any religion.

Me... I'm an Atheist. I think it's pretty obvious that God doesn't exist or at the very least if he does then he can't match the description in the Bible cause that is very contradicting to how the world actually works.

I do believe in an after life of sorts but not heaven or hell.

Here's the issue I have with both Science and Religion... They're both basically trying to find an answer to a question without knowing what the question is that they're trying to answer. They seem to think that question is "Which came first, the chicken or the egg" or some variation of it, "How did the universe begin." As if time is actually a straight line with a clear beginning and end. I don't think it is...

The chicken can't exist without first hatching from the egg... The egg can't exist without first being laid by another chicken... You can loop back and forth like that forever and never actually find an answer but what if that loop is the answer and we've been asking the wrong question this entire time. What if time itself is just a continuous loop. When you die your soul just wanders the Earth till time eventually loops back to your birth... Like for instance every time we hit 1986 another me is born. There isn't really a before you existed or after you're gone, just a period in which your ghost is waiting around for a new physical body to inhabit again. Everything recycles. The good news is that you can make different choices and don't have to literally repeat everything exactly the same way it happened the first time... or maybe you do but at least you won't remember any of it. It's basically kinda like reincarnation only you're always born as the same person not the kind where you could come back as someone else... or an animal... which is suppose to be more of like an instant thing according to their belief...
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
  • Aiko19Aiko19 Posts: 8 Newbie
    Rollo said:

Many christians, including John Green, are in fact embracing of political issues such as gay marriage and realize that religion shouldn't be brought into such issues

Why? (And this again shows why I think that everyone has religion)

Through the exercise of his faith (which is pretty well much the working definition of religion), William Wilberforce harassed parliament, became an MP and head the campaign which abolished the slave trade in the British Empire with the Slave Trade Act of 1807 and eventually the Slavery Abolition Act 1833.
    It is Christians in Australia who are most involved in trying to end Australia's inhumane asylum seeker policies of offshore detention.

Are you saying that Christians in particular should not speak about political issues? If religion shouldn't be brought into such issues, are you saying that the opinions of the "irreligious" are more valuable? If so, please tell me why William Wilberforce was wrong to act upon his faith.

I would prefer to have all faiths speaking into the political dialogue than deny or have people withdraw from the discussion. I think that a plurality of views better represents society, which is the very point of democracy.

Look, we're saying that religion shouldn't be in politics, etc. I live in a Hindu majority area, and Hinduism and Islam and Sikhism interfering in politics really make the general population seethe. We are not cranking about Christianity, and it has been a force of good as well, like the Indians getting the christian missionaries to promote education of women. We are saying that to look into issues such as gay marriage, trans rights, etc. , we have to disallow our religion from interfering with love and independent choices that they did not prepare themselves for. We must also take upon us, especially when policy making, that all religions, big or small, must be considered

DFTBA,
    Aiko
    edited January 6
    I don't think the general sentiment is that religious people are inferior or bad people. There have been both good and less-good people of various faiths.

Edit: I do agree with others though, that faith shouldn't be part of politics. In my view it shouldn't matter which invisible entity/entities you believe in when you consider what is right. That is inherently selfish. You should think of the greater good, not whether or not those invisible entities will punish you for not doing good.