5 Things

Comments

• clausitclausit EnglandPosts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭
    1) The word swag, in it's modern meaning is over 100 years old
    2) In terms of influence of a child's behavior parents don't even make top three on the list
    3) Tmesis is the only word in English with tme in it.
    4) Your ability to distinguish between colours depends on what language you speak
    5) There is a jellyfish that can make it's body younger and so theoretically live forever

YMMV on the definition of interesting obviously

5 topics you find really interesting
    You will come to a place where the streets are not marked. Some windows are lighted but mostly they're darked. A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin. Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in? How much can you lose? How much can you win?
  • RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭
    Um... 4 isn't true. Your ability to distinguish between colors actually is dependent on three cones in the back of your eye. Color blindness is caused by one or more of those cones being missing or misplaced.

1. Transformers
    2. Time Travel though it can some times lead to head aches whenever paradoxes are brought into the conversation.
    3. String Theory which I actually think goes with Time Travel though it's normally thought of as a different subject.
    4. Super Heroes
    5. Theater

Not necessarily in that order.

5 myths.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
    The biological ability to distinguish colours is in the eyes, but if you speak a language that has no word for a colour youcant distinguish it from another colour without putting them next to each other. There are some languages that has no word for pink, so if you show them a pink card and then a red one they will say they are the same colour. If you show them the two cards at the sane time though, then it has to do with the eyes.
    You will come to a place where the streets are not marked. Some windows are lighted but mostly they're darked. A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin. Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in? How much can you lose? How much can you win?
    clausit said:
    The biological ability to distinguish colours is in the eyes, but if you speak a language that has no word for a colour youcant distinguish it from another colour without putting them next to each other. There are some languages that has no word for pink, so if you show them a pink card and then a red one they will say they are the same colour. If you show them the two cards at the sane time though, then it has to do with the eyes.
    Oh... why didn't you say so? When you said distinguish between colors I though you meant language some how effected your eyes and I was like "What, no that's impossible." You should of just said some languages use the same word for entirely different colors.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
    Except that's not it. If you ask people "were those two colours the same" they will say yes if they don't have a word for both colours where someone with those words would be able to tell them apart, even though if you put those colours next to eachother, both people could tell they are different. It's more than just being unable to name it.
    clausit said:
    Except that's not it. If you ask people "were those two colours the same" they will say yes if they don't have a word for both colours where someone with those words would be able to tell them apart, even though if you put those colours next to eachother, both people could tell they are different. It's more than just being unable to name it.
    That's a contradiction. I don't think what you're saying means what you think it does.

"If you ask people "were those two colours the same" they will say yes"

This means they can't SEE a difference in the two colors not that they can't name them.

"if you put those colours next to eachother, both people could tell they are different."

This is pretty much the same exact thing as the first sentence only slightly reworded and now saying that they can SEE a difference.

So it actually is just about not being able to name it. Because if it was any more than that it would mean they are not able to see a difference.
    They can see the differrnce. They just cant tell that they can. So if you show then side by side they can physically see the difference, but one after the other they can't because they don't have the words for it. They will say they are the same.
  • YeahIdontknowYeahIdontknow The NetherlandsPosts: 694 ✭✭
    clausit said:
    They can see the differrnce. They just cant tell that they can. So if you show then side by side they can physically see the difference, but one after the other they can't because they don't have the words for it. They will say they are the same.
    That's weird. Because if people show me two different shades of orange and they ask me whether they are the same or not I will tell them that it are two different shades of orange, not that they are the same...

Anywayyy

Five interesting myths
    900 years of time and space and I've never met anyone who wasn't important.
    clausit said:
    They can see the difference. They just can't identify or name it. So if you show them side by side they can physically see the difference and tell you that they are different, but they can't identify or name them as different things because they don't have the words for it. They will say they are the same or rather use the same word to describe them.

This is actually what you are trying to say but it's not what you are in fact saying. What you are saying doesn't actually make any grammatical sense. Let me put it this way. We can't see what they see so the only way of knowing weather they can see different colors is to have them tell us if they're different. They can in fact say yes those are different colors. But they can not identify or name them as different colors because in their language they use the same word for both colors. It would not in fact make a difference if they were side by side or one at a time. The only difference is that if you ask them "are these different" if they say yes, then they see color, if they say no then they're color blind. However if you ask them to NAME the two colors because they don't have a word for it, they will NAME them both by the same word despite seeing two different colors. You can't see two different colors without knowing that you're seeing two different colors unless you're color blind. There would still be two colors there, but because you can't see a difference you wouldn't know it unless someone told you they were different. Not knowing they're different colors is color blindness. Not having a word for the different color is just not being unable to name it.
    No I don't think you understand. Show them the colours side by side they willsay "they are different colours". Show then one at a time they will say they are the same colour" this is due to the way that language alters perception, not their ability to percieve. In both cases their eyes perceive the difference,it is their brains interpretation via their llanguage that causes them to incorrectly perceive the situation.
    clausit said:
    No I don't think you understand. Show them the colours side by side they willsay "they are different colours". Show then one at a time they will say they are the same colour" this is due to the way that language alters perception, not their ability to percieve. In both cases their eyes perceive the difference,it is their brains interpretation via their llanguage that causes them to incorrectly perceive the situation.
    Oh I understand despite your wording it incorrectly. Show them the colors side by side and they will say they are different colors. Show them one and a time and they will actually NAME what that color is but because they use the same word for both colors they identify them both by the same word. You're kinda over complicating something that is actually really simple because you keep using words and phrases that have to do with eye sight when you're not even talking about eye sight.
  • livlaughsandloveslivlaughsandloves Somewhere over the rainbow...Posts: 57
    edited June 2014
    I think it is rather the case that people speaking a language that require them to distinguish between two things, are better at telling the difference between them. If anytime you first have to think about wether the colour you see is a darker or a lighter orange in order to pick the right word, you automatically get trained in paying attention to the shade of the colour. It's not that people without terms for certain colour shades are lacking physical elements to perceive the colours or that they are colour blind, it's just them paying less attention to the shades in comparison to the ones with a language that distinguishes. That's why they are worse in telling whether they see a darker or a lighter version of a colour; the physical ability to perceive is equally good for both, but the selection that is going on in their brains works in different patterns which are partially formed by language.

Hoped that helped? ^^
    Buuut offtopic; the last "5 thing" demand was "5 myths"! :D GO!
    by livlaughsandloves
    Anyone tell me please how to never again lose something you love.
    I think it is rather the case that people speaking a language that require them to distinguish between two things, are better at telling the difference between them. If anytime you first have to think about wether the colour you see is a darker or a lighter orange in order to pick the right word, you automatically get trained in paying attention to the shade of the colour. It's not that people without terms for certain colour shades are lacking physical elements to perceive the colours or that they are colour blind, it's just them paying less attention to the shades in comparison to the ones with a language that distinguishes. That's why they are worse in telling whether they see a darker or a lighter version of a colour; the physical ability to perceive is equally good for both, but the selection that is going on in their brains works in different patterns which are partially formed by language.

Hoped that helped? ^^
    Buuut offtopic; the last "5 thing" demand was "5 myths"! :D GO!
    Thank you!

And... I was the one who actually asked the 5 myths question so I'm not going to answer my own question. :P
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,905 ✭✭✭
    Five interesting myths
    1. Jimmy Hoffa is buried in New Jersey's Giants Stadium.
    2. Jessie Owens invented the Nike swoosh.
    3. Walt Disney drew Mickey Mouse.
    4. Edison Invented the Lightbulb.
    5. Ostriches put their heads in the sand.

FIVE names that you would call an evil super villain, intent on taking over teh world!

"I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    1) The Dastardly Dali Lama
    2) The Cruel King of Cuba
    3) The Villainous Vermin
    4) Kevin
    5) The Massive Maligner

5 things you question about the nature of life
    I love you and I like you
    Why Kevin?

1. How do people manage to get ahead in life by being jerks to everyone who are actually working for it?
    2. Why do people insist that what doesn't kill makes you stronger when every night I go bed to wishing it did kill me.
    3. What is actually the point of all this. Afterlife or not, we can't take it with us so why do we put so much value on material things?
    4. Why do so many people put quantity over quality? If there is no quality of life, are you actually living?
    5. Why do so many people think that two people loving each other which is actually the most simple concept imaginable is too difficult for children to understand but some how expect them to be able to understand long division by the time they're 8 years old? I'm 20 years older and I still don't understand long division.

5 things that make no sense what so ever?
    1) Spelling
    2) Grammar Nazis
    3) Regular Nazis
    4) Arguing with someone online without at least Wikipedia'ing what you're talking about
    5) Veganism

5 favorite foods
  • IgnipotentIgnipotent Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭
    clausit said:
    1) Spelling 2) Grammar Nazis 3) Regular Nazis 4) Arguing with someone online without at least Wikipedia'ing what you're talking about 5) Veganism 5 favorite foods
    I really want to comment that I disagree with you on every point but #1. But I really don't feel like justifying why Naziism makes sense in context when studying the nature of humanity and the psychological pressure associated with the movement. So just imagine that this paragraph doesn't exist.

1) Buttermilk Pie
    2) Muffins
    3) White chocolate macadamia nut cookies a la mode
    4) Spinach (it just makes me feel so good)
    5) Pomegranate greek yogurt

5 favorite music genres.

You'll need coffee shops and sunsets and road trips.  Airplanes and passports and new songs and old songs, 
    but people more than anything else. You will need other people and you will need to be that other person to someone else, 
    a living, breathing, screaming invitation to believe better things.
    One of the actors I use to work with said he doesn't like muffins because they're just ugly cup cakes.
    Tbf, I was being somewhat facetious. But I couldn't think of many things that genuinely made literally no sense.

1) late 60s rock
    2) mid 70 rock
    3) 70s r and b
    4) mid 90s gangsta rap remixes
    5) 60s soul.

5 Favorite songs to sing along to
    edited June 2014
    1. Amy McDonals - This is the Life
    2. Grace Potter and the Nocturnals - Something that I want
    3. Steam Powered Giraffe - Brass Goggles
    4. Chameleon Circuit - Big Bang Two
    5. Hank Green - The Universe is Weird

Five favourite Vlogbrothers videos

by YeahIdontknow
    1) Rest in Awesome, Esther
    2) Perspective
    3) Giant Baby Attack
    4) Baby on the Road: Thoughts from Places
    5) An Evening of Awesome at Carnigie Hall (or if that's cheating Thoughts from places: Small town America)

5 favorite sounds

1. Rain falling on the roof
    2. Thunder
    3. a mountainstream
    4. wind blowing through trees
    5. laughter

5 not well-known colours
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,905 ✭✭✭
    1. Puce 
    2. Fawn
    3. Gamboge
    4. Feldgrau
    5. Malachite

Five quotes from people in films, just before they die herocially.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
    1) "We're gonna pull together, and we're gonna find a way to get outta here! But first, we're gonna seal off this..."- Deep Blue Sea
    2) "You always were an asshole, Gorman!"- Aliens
    3) "I have been, and always will be, your friend. Live long... and prosper."- Star Trek II: Wrath of Kahn
    4) "I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king" - Lord of the RIngs: Fellowship of the Ring
    5) “Is that the best you can do, you pansies?” - Sin City

5 favorite heroic characters
    1. Hermoine
    2. Aragorn
    3. Raven
    4. Captain America
    5. Batman

5 Favourite villains
  • ScrappyDooScrappyDoo Annapolis, MDPosts: 1,067 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    GLaDOS - Portal
    Darth Vader
    The Tomb of Horrors (not a person per se but still worthy of mention)
    Dysentery - Oregon Trail
    The reapers from Mass Effect (Specifically Sovereign)

5 Best uses of technology (fictional or factual)
    by ScrappyDoo
    Well seeing as how you said fictional that means all my answers are going to be from Star Trek.

1. Tricorder... Detecting illnesses without the use of big heavy machinery that can probably cause illnesses due to all the radiation they give out.

2. Hypospray... no needles, just a spray that can be naturally absorbed threw your skin.

3. Regeneration Pills... I don't know what this one is actually called but it was shown in one of the movies. Bones met a woman who was on a waiting list for a kidney transplant and said "what is this the dark ages" then gave her two pills that caused her to grow new kidneys in a couple of hours.

4. Transporter C-Section... In an episode of Voyager I believe rather than performing surgery on a woman to remove the baby they simply used the transporter to transfer the baby into a nearby bassinet.

5. Replicators and Holodecks... There is a reason you don't see a lot of over weight people on Star Trek. There are a few who still like to actually cook real food. The replicators however produce food that tastes just like the real thing but is a lot healthier than the real thing. The basic result of which being that you can eat as much junk food as you want and still be getting a healthy diet. Holodecks fit with this because they do also produce replicator food. So you can get exercise while also eating a healthy diet and it doesn't even feel like you're working at all.

5 Worst inventions of all time?
  • SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    1) Cotton Gin
    2) Various torture devices
    3) The idea of selling medication or medical services for profit
    4) X-ray shoe fitters
    5) Pencils with totally non-usable erasers.

5 people you wish you were related to
    I love you and I like you
    1. Jim Carrey
    2. Scott McNeil
    3. Matt Smith
    4. John de Lancie
    5. Douglas Adams

This is basically the same list I posted earlier...

5 people you wish you WEREN'T related to.