Weight Loss Motivation!

I'm about to go back on an eating-right/exercising regularly plan but I know that if I try to do it without accountability/help I tend to break the habit pretty quickly. 

I thought it would be nice to have a place where we can talk/motivate each other/give each other tips. 

Comments

• LookingForMyMiracleLookingForMyMiracle Posts: 939 ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to lose weight too, but I can't say I have much to offer in terms of advice. All I can say Is what I've observed from myself. If there's people to stop me from eating more then I should, I'm perfectly fine. I don't even get that hungry. The problem is when there aren't people to stop me, I end up going ''Well, there's no one to stop me, so I might as well take this opportunity to eat'' I might even tell myself that I'm just going to eat a little bit and it won't do much harm, then I'll just continue eating more and more, and telling myself that I haven't eaten that much yet, then when it becomes obvious I have eaten to much, I'll just go ''Oh, forget it. I've eaten way more then I should already. No point in stopping now'' I feel like the best strategy is to just obsess over something else, like writing or any other hobby you might have, and just keeping myself in my room completely focused on that thing. Of course, that's easier said then done. Good luck with your weight loss. DFTBA
    ''The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints- 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does HE get more worms than I do...''
  • Sammich117Sammich117 Posts: 302 Admin
    @lookingformymiracle ;

I definitely face the same obstacles! That's why I'm hoping if people use this thread to talk to each other about their progress/slip-ups, everyone will be more successful! 
  • LookingForMyMiracleLookingForMyMiracle Posts: 939 ✭✭✭
    Yes, this will probably be a great place for people to motivate each other, and maybe check on each other. I look forward to it. This is definitely a great idea for a thread
    ''The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints- 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does HE get more worms than I do...''
  • RealReal You know that's right! Huntsville, ALPosts: 413 ✭✭✭
    One amazing community just for this was/is ShayLoss. A bunch of people joined in with Shay Carl to lose weight together and constantly check in on each other. As some may know, it worked amazingly well for Shay and just about everyone involved!

You might also remember the amazing song:

• Great idea! I'm in. Thanksgiving threw me off big time.
    some things you do for money, and some you do for fun, but the things you do for love are gonna come back to you one by one.
  • Rebecca_ARebecca_A Posts: 107 ✭✭✭
    Oh man. I have been trying to lose the weight I put on when I started college...well, since I started college! (And I'm a senior.) Generally, I eat pretty decent. I just have problems with portion control and getting exercise. 

Lately, I've been doing Pilates videos (you can find them on youtube) with my roommates. They are killer, but some of the moves are pretty hilarious and we all end up laughing at each other and having fun. It's a great way to exercise without having to go to a gym or brave the weather. (I'm from the Seattle area, so it's always raining!) 
  • mAshleymAshley Posts: 47
    You people are perfection!! This is a brilliant idea! Over summer break was perfect! I was running a mile EVERYDAY and lifting weights every other day. Fruits and veggies were cheap so my mom stocked up every weekend. I practically lived off salads, soups, fish, and occasionally chicken. For breakfast I always had oatmeal and a cup of coffee since it was fast and tasty. My system was actually fun! I put fruits on top of salads to make them taste better, my mom made amazing squash-vegetable soup, and for once, I actually enjoyed running that once torturous mile. Results: I lost 20 pounds in two months. 

But it didn't stay that way. I really wanted to keep but waking up 5:30 in the morning to go to school isn't helping. Not to mention my favorite fruits are scarce in the winter. My ultimate plan is restart mid-December when I'm off from school. I need all the motivation I can get. :) 
    365Nerds Team Member, here. Links to important things: 
    Facebook Group | Nerd Count: 168/365 | Youtube | Tumblr Blog
     ~A nerd a day keeps the world suck away~ DFTBA
  • Yeah, I'm in. More for healthy eating and fitness than just weight loss. I find that I am a bit of a sugar junkie and I am struggling to kick the habit... Also a hip injury I've had for a year has really held me back and I am pretty unfit at the moment.
  • celinesaracelinesara Posts: 231 ✭✭
    I haven't lost weight for the past 3 months but I'm at a healthy weight so it isn't that much of a problem. I eat about 1200 calories a day (For the record, if I don't count, I tend to under eat). I have a list of foods that are banned as well as an approved list. I snack on pistachio nuts and crackers. I don't eat greasy food because I tend to puke after doing so. Dessert is still a big part of my life and as long as you control yourself, you can still lose weight.

I'm exercising more frequently as I'm on break. On Mondays, I have pilates at 9 am and floating yoga at 12.10pm. I have floating yoga again on Wednesdays and pilates again on Sundays. On Thursdays, I put myself through the torture of this workout. If I'm not dead, I run on Fridays.

(:
  • Oh, yay.

I've started eating "clean" again a couple months ago. Vegetables, fruit and meat. Except for those mashed potatoes and gravy for Thanksgiving. And the bread. And the pasta. And dressing. And deviled eggs. Ah, Thanksgiving, how I love you.

Anyways, I did P90X a couple times and am now doing Insanity and a bit of running.
    Are you frightened by perfection?

Is this who you are, not who you want to be?

@SurpassingSolitude I've been wanting to try Insanity but I'm too afraid too. I'm really impressed that you do it.
    (:
  • SurpassingSolitudeSurpassingSolitude Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November 2012
    @celinesara

Haha, I know the feeling. I was so nervous the first day. I spent the two weeks of the first month almost passing out every time, but I love it. I can almost do one pull up. I'm so excited. XD

If you want to do it, don't be afraid to! I bet you could definitely do it.

@SurpassingSolitude Congratulations on the pull up. My upper arm strength is almost non-existent. I might start Insanity...
    (:
  • KristenidasKristenidas Posts: 53
    It's that time of the year (aka Winter) where it feels like such a chore to do any exercise. School keeps me disgustingly busy and I've been losing weight steadily. 20 pounds down in a couple of months without any exercise. I'm going to seriously start pushing for it though once I'm over this school hump.
    Whovian. Potterhead. Homestuck. Sherlockian. Oncer and Merlin.
    (Just to name a few)

• MishiewishieMishiewishie Posts: 82 ✭✭
    This is great. I'm currently on a weight loss regimen of my own. 

I don't know how super healthy this is, although I am aware that I can't do this for a super long term (like a year). I'm eating Smart Ones and other meals. I guess it's calorie counting, but it's helped--I've lost 6lbs! 

I didn't enroll into WW or anything, but I did find a nifty calculator that helps me figure out how many "points" I need to lose weight for my target. I'm starting on Smart Ones right now to get used to the point conversion system, but I'm looking at other meals at the same time with the same amount of calories so I'm not confined to just the Smart Ones. 

As for snacks, I eat the K granola bars and some low fat yogurt. :)

And so far, no need for exercise. :)

What are your experiences with that?
    Always the tone of surprise.

• Well I'm bummed.

In six months of "dieting" and working out and running I only lost nine pounds.

And I could have sworn I lost more these last few weeks. Even when I saw my mom, she commented on how my skinny jeans looked baggy, but today my scale says I gained it all back plus a pound.

Gr.

• KelliKelli TexasPosts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SurpassingSolitude, you're probably turning all your fat into muscle which adds mass to your body. 
    I make videos 
    "Nerd like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff."
    I live in the land of the Last Ones

@SurpassingSolitude Try not to focus on your weight(I'm saying this on a weight loss motivation discussion...). Like @Kelli said, it's probably muscle mass. After all, you are doing Insanity. Checking your measurements might be more accurate in telling you if you are losing weight.
    (:
  • I guess that's possible.

But still massively annoying. :P

• KelliKelli TexasPosts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SurpassingSolitube, I bet it is but I bet you'll look super great after you finish Insanity! (:
    I make videos 
    "Nerd like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff."
    I live in the land of the Last Ones

• MishiewishieMishiewishie Posts: 82 ✭✭
    @SurpassingSolitude the others are right. Try checking the type of exercise that you're doing if it's meant to burn or tone. :) There's a difference that I didn't even know existed. 

Dancing is my form of exercise. Not much else. I don't think I can do routine exercises when I eventually get bored and just pray that time goes by faster. Just me? :(
    Always the tone of surprise.

• amelia9009amelia9009 NYCPosts: 165 ✭✭✭
    I'm in. For basically my whole life I've been just a little bit bulkier and less fit than I'd like be.
    I'm a freshman in college being forced to cook for myself for the first time and I'm not exactly looking forward to going home for Christmas where I have a scale. Hopefully since I have to walk everywhere in London and I've been playing some Ultimate it won't be too bad... But I've been wanting to get generally in better shape for ages!
    Activate your force-fields and just keep going.
    youtube twitter tumblr
  • SuibhneSuibhne Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    ugh I need to get back with it. It's just so difficult due to having a desk job and a child.
  • Bee12Bee12 Posts: 102 ✭✭

Sigh....okay. I admit it. I need motivation. I need to lose weight again (or rather, get healthy and burn fat/gain muscle). I'm a bit discouraged because I had lost 18lbs (I didn't have much to lose), a bunch of inches and was feeling fantastic...then I was put on some medication, gained all that weight back...plus10 more (admittedly the last 10 was probably more due to the fact that I stopped being motivated and thinking about healthy food choices). I now weigh more than I ever have, and i'm discouraged. It's actually the first time I've admitted this out loud (well...you know what I mean haha). I need to get healthy again. I think with my fellow Nerdfighters, I can do it :)

P.S. You're all lovely!

• Rebecca_ARebecca_A Posts: 107 ✭✭✭
    Is anyone else a stress eater? It's finals week and I find myself craving everything I should not be eating! 
  • GildedWildebeestGildedWildebeest Leeds, UKPosts: 36
    edited December 2012
    I was underweight (8st10) like 5 years ago and I've been steadily gaining weight since then, then it just didn't stop. So I said if I ever got to 12st I'd start cutting down - I got to 12st4 over summer... So now I'm trying stuff to just lose a bit over time, nothing extreme because I'm too lazy to exercise often and too antisocial to cook proper meals every day.

A couple of things have helped, though:
    • Less sugar. I was drinking 2 litres of Coke a day, which is around 2-3x more sugar than you should be having per day, not including food (!). So I decided to cut that sugar right down, switching to weakly diluting various flavours of squash with water or sugar-free lemonade (which is insanely cheap because there's basically nothing in it - 17p for 2 litres).
    • Stop snacking. I snacked when I was bored and because I had it available, I enjoy eating so I was constantly full from snacking. Buy fruits, veg and nuts that you like to snack on if it's really necessary. My two favourites are pickled beetroot and salted pistachios.
    • Cut your meals in half first. It takes some time for your brain to register that you've eaten, so make half as much food as you normally would, eat it, wait 15 minutes or so and if you're still hungry then make some more. Doing this will probably make you hungry again sooner, but many small meals spread out the day are better than a few big ones.
    I think I've lost 6 or 7 lbs in just over a month, so it's chipping away slowly with easy, small changes. Taking the stairs rather than escalators doesn't hurt either, but I've always done that. And I choose to walk down the 7 flights of stairs in my block of flats rather than use the lift down, but the lift is somewhat necessary to take me back up, for now at least :P
    An African even-toed horned ungulate, covered in a thin layer of gold leaf.
    That's not a metaphor.
  • basilsaurusbasilsaurus Posts: 22
    @Rebecca_A
    I am definitely a stress eater!  It's finals week for me too, and I can't even keep track of how much junk food I've eaten this week!  I just try to offset this by baking my own slightly healthier junk food options and being as healthy as I can in less stressful times.  
  • MortbaneMortbane Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
    I've got to work on the whole willpower thing.  When I started college, I actually lost a bunch of weight, because I didn't have food in my dorm room and I would forget to go to the dining hall until the last meal of the day.  My stomach shrunk and I could maybe eat a bowl of soup before I would get full.  I had to start keeping slimfast bars in my room so that I could at least get some nutrients through the day.

And I was doing great at the beginning of 2011, because we didn't really have much around the house to eat.  But we've made an effort to do more cooking at home now rather than going out, for the reason that it should save money.  It does, but now there's food in the house.  And I'm always planning my next meal, even when I'm not hungry.  "I ate x hours ago...so...it's okay if I eat again.  That's not too far from dinner time..."  I even tried having more things that took effort to prepare rather than just pop it in the microwave, but that doesn't help.

What I think would help is if I got some sunlight in here.  It's really dark in my apartment and it makes me feel like I don't want to do anything, so then I just sit around and get bored and eat for something to do.  Bad move.  Need sunlight.
    @Mortbane Why not try going out for a walk or something? I distract myself from food by doing things (or sleeping). I'm very gulity of boredom snacking.
    (:
  • emiliarmusemiliarmus Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    ugh i am SUCH a stress eater. and a boredom eater. If i don't know what to do, i go look in the cupboards.  I was in an aerobics class this past semester, which was good. I gained the freshman 15 both my freshman and sophomore years, so I have some weight to lose now (in my junior year).  I managed to lose 6 pounds this semester mainly by just working out twice a week during class. However, now that class is done i'm really scared I'm going to gain it back. I'm just awful at eating healthy; my sweet tooth is enormous, and now there's all the holiday baked goods *mournful look*